Where you can apply:
- On the Social Security Administration website
- In addition by calling the Social Security Disability national toll-free service at 1800-772-1213 (TTY 1800-325-0778)
- If you are applying for Supplemental Security Income you cannot apply for benefits online.
- In any case, you can make an appointment to apply for Social Security Disability for Supplemental Security Income. At your local Social Security Office. However, making an appointment is not required.
You can help your intake call by being ready to:
- Have all needed documents ready; and
- Answer all the questions with honesty listed below.
List of documents you may need to provide:
Social Security Disability will ask you to submit documents to verify eligibility such as:
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or lawful alien status. If you were not born in the United States;
- Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
- W-2 forms and/or self-employment tax returns for last year’
- S. military discharge papers if you had military service before 1968;
- Collect detail information about your injuries or condition, work history, illnesses.
- Pay stubs, award letters, any temporary or permanent worker’s compensation-type benefits you’re received, and settlement agreements;
- Have your medical evidence ready in your possession. For example, recent test results, medical records, and doctor’s reports.
However, Social Security Disability will accept photocopies of your self-employment tax return, birth certificate, and W-2 forms. On the other hand SSA may want to see your original of most documents. Such as your birth certificate. Don’t worry Social Security Disability will return the originals back to you?
If you do not have all of your documents. In that case do not delay applying for Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income. Social Security Administration will help you get the documents.
Questions the Social Security Administration will ask you:
- Name, gender, and Social Security number;
- Name at birth (if different for example maiden name);
Step by Step Guidance
Check out our step by step guidance eBook. To save you some time and confusion. In the areas where you may struggle.
Please feel free to write a comment or feedback in the website blog page.